Saturday, August 18, 2012

Sweet Moments with My Sweet Brother

Last night I gave My Guy a free pass to go out with the boys (my family is having a big party today, and he's going to be thrown to the wolves after three years of dating... I felt he deserved some time with the guys).  It looked like I was going to have the house to myself, just me and all my wedding magazines and blogs... well as it turned out, my baby brother (who is actually eighteen- not such a baby), wound up coming over. 
Little Brother has been nothing but supportive, and he's constantly asking about the wedding, my ideas, and offering suggestions.  So last night, I'm sitting on one couch and he's on the other.  I open up the iPad, while he's busy looking for something to watch on tv.  I click on the Knot Application- the cover is a beautiful bride and her beau, the dress is gorgeous, and absolutely something I would love, when my brother says "I like that dress."  I almost melted off the couch.  Here's this eighteen year old man, who is ridiculously talented when it comes to working with his hands (he can literally take anything apart and rebuild it), he's an avid action sports fan (loves dirt biking, motor cross, demolition derbies, and anything that could cause real bodily harm), he loves to pig out on ice cream, and has never been anything less than surprising with his responses to situations.  He loves a dress I love.  So I show him a petticoat dress that I like and he says "That doesn't seem wedding-y.  It doesn't go to the floor."  I completely agree, but for a casual daytime wedding, it would be fitting... I never thought I'd be taking fashion advice from my younger brother.   
When we first got engaged, it was so important for my sisters to be involved- we spent years as children playing "Bride," it never occurred to me how involved my brother would want to be, and become on his own.  He will be a groomsmen, and we are planning a special project for him to contribute to our special day. 
While he may be twelve years younger than me, and we didn't grow up in the same household, he's one of my favorite people, and someone I've always been able to count on for support and love.  My brother's heart is far too big for his body and I'm so lucky he's part of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment